Thursday, April 14, 2011

Of Namesakes And Defining Moments

Greetings and salutations, dearest Dyanna...

It has been 10 months, 2 days and almost 6 hours since you came into our lives. No matter how challenging it has been, you have always been our reason to smile.

Always.

Ironically, when I selected to name you after a Themysciran princess (albeit transliterated minutely), I never expected you to truly live up to your namesake. Sometimes, it is unavoidable, but we do worry about your safety. Especially when you dive head first of the bed or staircase or some such furnishings. And it will get even more worrisome when you start walking.

Even now, as you crawl faster than your remote control R2-D2, we worry. When you start standing and attempt to reach something above you or whatnot, we worry. When you start getting curious with everything that's in the kitchen (like that time you tried to touch the boiling pot), we worry.

Yes, I know it is to be expected. A piece of the puzzle that will never fit in the beginning, but would fall into place by the end of it.

And I know your mother does her best to teach you the right things. But, I'll never (ever) be certain if I'm teaching you all the right things. All I can do is let you learn by yourself, sooner or later, and make your own choices, regardless whether we like it or not. Not that your mother will agree with my perspective. And I know you'll make the best of it, no matter what.

And when we are long gone and you have done your part, I hope you know we did it because we love you.

Always. No matter what.

Because fate is what we make of it,
Your loving father

1 comment:

  1. Made me tear. Reading this conjured up the image of me sitting with my father at the dining table, listening to words said very much in the spirit of this post. I miss him.

    ReplyDelete