Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Is Baby a Boy or a Girl?

Dear Baby,

So, far we don't know. Besides the fact that majority of people been saying you're a girl, and the ultrasound today - it's inconclusive, you had your legs together and all tucked up, so we can't see.

Good news is that the placenta had moved up, and free access for you. That was when mommy found out the reason why I was scheduled for a 34 weeks scan, to see where the placenta is lying because when we had the 20 weeks scan it was low lying. So this scan was to see if it was still low lying or not because if it was, baby would have a hard time to come out because it might be blocking the path or it will be a too tight a squeeze and mommy would have to go under the knife *gasp*. Fortunately, it's not and according to the lady who did the ultrasound, I don't know what is the proper title for them, said the placenta is above your head, higher up in the uterus, because your head is pointing down.

She showed mommy your head, your spine, and your tucked up legs, all clearly seen... if you can interpret ultrasound imaging that is... no print out of you this time because you're so big now. Your weight was measured at 2.4kg, and you still have at least 4 - 6 weeks of growth. The other thing they check was the volume of fluid in there with you and she said the volume is fine, not too much, not too little. I couldn't get a clear answer as to what difference that would it make. Will research on it one day.

So the ultrasound went well, and good news about the placenta position and you're in position, even though had to wait for over an hour for my turn and I was the last one too that morning it seems. Then it was for the ante natal check up, which went well too, mommy had pills replenished, and as well as having to have my blood taken for the blood works, hadn't had it since last January. By then it was something like ten past eleven, and mommy went to the place where they take blood next door and to read a notice on the door saying they'll resume at two in the afternoon! Good thing I knocked on the door and there was the technician inside, and I had my blood taken, or else I would have to go down to the clinic again in the afternoon...

On the way back home, mommy dropped by Auntie Jacq's place to pick up raspberry tea, Auntie Elaine said to start taking to help the uterus practice it's contractions. Auntie Jacq told mommy lots of stuff, and to be honest the closer is it to the day the more undecided I get as to what will transpire after you are born. Your grandmother Lambak wants us back there for a month which I'm not too keen with, I've seen what happened to your aunt and even though there'll be you to take care off but I think I'll be bored out of my mind which isn't a good thing. Auntie Jacq suggested for a lady to come in during the day only and she can cook and help look after you and mommy for the month, which sounds ok. Mommy wants all that massages and wraps but I don't know who to ask for, so many stories of people who says they can but end up they botch the process, so I'm pretty wary on who to approach and what to follow.

Got lots of tips on what to eat during that period, and I figured I just need to borrow a slow cooker from someone to do all that. Lots of ginger, red dates, black dates, steamed, soups, kampung chicken,mee sua noodles only and spinach, lots of it. Porridge yes but I'm not too keen on having rice regardless in what form. Mommy and daddy bought a 10kg bag of rice when we first moved in last year back in August, and we still have it. I doubt very much we would finish that rice when we hit one year of living in our house.

Mommy been thinking about the after delivery, I'm going to feel and look terrible after having to go through the ordeal of labour, they say it's not pretty because I won't have the energy to compose myself, let alone have visitors, and all I want to do is rest and get to grips I had just given birth to you and the trials of breastfeeding. I would like our first moments to be just the three of us, you, me and daddy. I think it's important. I don't know why yet. It just feels important that there is quiet time for the three of us first before everybody else comes in. So, the only ones who I'm willing to have around post labour are your grandparents and your aunts and uncles, ie mommy and daddy's siblings. Everybody else can wait until we get home and settled down in a more familiar surroundings where it's easier to relax and also no patients to disturb.

Yesterday we made the first major purchase for you, your cloth diapers. Although for this particular system we got, we only bought you 5 nappy pocket covers, and a total of 15 inserts. Have to check the starter pack we bought way earlier, so that makes 6, we would need another 4... and that would be enough for one day... Hmmmm, we need another 10 covers at least so that way we can do the washing every other day. I'm still thinking of the pre folds though, it says for newborns that is best since you go through 10 - 12 nappies a day for the next three months. I think in the next few weeks if nothing else comes up, mommy will order them including the pretty nifty nappy clips so we won't have to hassle with pins.

I'm excited with this whole cloth diapers concept, I won't feel so bad about the amount of rubbish we throw out, you won't start your life polluting the world with all you disposable nappies for the next 500 years, and we save money in the long run as your nappies will be used for the next sibling. The amount of electricity and power usage is minimal compared to the global impact of 500 years to degrade. Also they come in cool colours, even though we picked the plain ones, I'm not too sure if I wanted my baby's bottom to look like a giraffe or a cow. Oh I forgot to mentioned, the 5 cloth covers we got you comes in adjustable sizes so you could use it from newborn up to three years old! But I doubt very much you'll be in it up to that long as studies have shown, cloth diapered babies tend to potty train earlier than the disposable diapered babies. I wondered how early would you be...

Well, that's all for now. Next check up is in two weeks. Mommy is scheduled to have a doctor's appointment as well, this would be the second ever since this whole journey had started. After that mommy'll be going to the clinic weekly until you decide to come out.

5 more weeks to go...

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment